The Basic 411 on Chakras
Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning spinning wheel and part of our subtle body anatomy” explains Tamara Martin, a Florida-based licensed massage therapist, yoga teacher, energy healer, and the founder/owner of Pink Sands Yoga “I like to think of them as energetic gears as they work together. The 7 primary chakras run along the spine beginning at the base of the spine (root) and ending at the top of the head (crown).” Shelby Gorstein of Shelby Yoga adds “Chakras are energy centers in the body. Each chakra corresponds to different organs in the body and elements of life.” Shelby holds a 200-hour RYT and an additional certification in Yin Yoga. “When one is blocked, certain mental/emotional and physical ailments may arise. When one is balanced, there is a sense of harmony and peace. These chakras can also be operating excessively, leading to other lifestyle impacts. For example, someone with an overactive heart chakra might end up emotionally drained in relationships.” Vicki Howie, creator of Chakra Love, the Chakra Life Cycle System, and Chakra Boosters Healing Tattoos describes chakras as “revolving doors between the human body and the outside world.” She continues to say “these chakras are created by continually moving currents of energy in the three dimensions of physical reality. As they move they are interacting with the areas on the body that are most concentrated with nerve ganglia. There is one “positive” and one “negative” for each of the three dimensions of physical reality, six in all.
- The Root Chakra: When blocked there is a feeling of being ungrounded and insecure, or feeling unsafe or stuck in life. When open, there you feel accomplishment, trust, connected, and safe.
- The Sacral Chakra: With a blocked Sacral Chakra you will feel stiff hips, feel out of touch emotionally, overwhelmed, or in a place of addiction. When open you will have a feeling of abundance, creativity, fulfillment, and feel connected to pleasure.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra: When blocked you will experience digestive issues, low self-esteem, lack of commitment and feeling dismissed. Feelings of confidence and power return when opened.
- The Heart Chakra: Tight shoulders, no compassion for self or feelings of isolation come with being blocked. Once open, you will experience feelings of self-love and feel a naturally radiant love for others with compassion and kindness.
- The Throat Chakra: When blocked you will experience a stiff neck, an inability to speak up for oneself and feelings invalidated. But once open you will be able to speak your mind, express yourself and connect with others.
- The Third Eye Chakra: A blocked Third Eye Chakra will lead to brain fog, lack of intuition and inspiration. When open you will feel connected to your spiritual development and experience feelings of unity and harmony.
- The Crown Chakra: If this Chara is blocked you will have trouble concentrating and experience an inability to see other perspectives. Self-awareness and feelings of union and enlightenment return once open.